Data is a key component of today’s tech-driven society.
Data analytics is a combination of information technology and business management. It helps companies to manage their data, get business insights, and create opportunities for growth.
Continue reading to find out more about the job market, skill requirements, and our top picks of online bootcamps. We also explain how to choose the one that suits your needs.
What are Online Data Analytics Bootcamps and How Do They Work?
Data analytics bootcamps are short, intensive programs that teach professional skills. Each bootcamp’s content, length, and layout will differ depending on which course you are enrolled in. While some bootcamps focus on basics, others go deeper into more specific topics such as visualization and statistics. An online bootcamp should be matched to your career goals and interests.
Data Analytics vs. Data Science Bootcamps
Although many people confuse the terms, data analytics and data science are distinct. The main difference between the two is their scope. Bootcamps that focus on one of these disciplines will have a vastly different subject matter.
Data Analytics Bootcamps
Data analytics is the process of analyzing and applying statistical analysis to ongoing data sets. This area of training teaches how to collect, manipulate, and sort data in order to find solutions to problems. These boot camps also teach how to present the data to businesses. Data analytics is all about generating immediate solutions.
Data Science Bootcamps
Data science is a multidisciplinary field that aims to uncover insights from large amounts of raw data. Data science Bootcamps are offered by . Workers in this field tend to focus on finding answers to things that may not exist, as opposed to analytics which seek specific insights. These experts can use many techniques to find the answers to their questions, including predictive analytics and computer science. Data scientists are primarily motivated to answer questions and find potential research avenues. It is not as important to find the right questions, but there are less specific solutions.
Popular Data Analytics Tools
A data analytics bootcamp uses different online software than a coding course. These are the most used tools in the field, as well as their purpose.
- R (programming languages) is the most widely used analytics tool in the industry. Open-source software, R provides data modeling and statistics. It can be used to analyze data and create software that can perform statistical analysis. R supports many computer platforms, including Windows, MacOS and viz –UNIX.
- Microsoft Excel can also be used in many industries. This program allows users to quickly create pivot tables using a variety of columns and rows. To gain a better understanding of advanced analytics software it is recommended to master Excel before learning more.
- SAS (statistical analysis software) is an application that enables data management, business intelligence (BI), and statistics. It assists organizations in all areas to make better business decisions. It is accessible via GUI (graphical user interface), and SAS programming language. This allows users to retrieve, report, and analyze large amounts of data.
- SQL is an acronym for Structured Query Language. It is used to store, manipulate, and collect data from a relational database. SQL is used by industries to extract data for data analysis and reporting.
- is an online data visualization tool that’s used in business intelligence. It converts raw data into easily-usable charts, dashboards, and worksheets. These formats can be shared with others, so it runs seamlessly across all systems.
- Apache Spark is an integrated data processing system designed for big data operations. Spark Core processing engine is not the only option. There are also libraries for SQL, machine-learning, graph computation, and other applications that can all be combined. Data analysts and app developers include Spark in their programs for querying, analyzing and transforming data.
What skills will you learn?
The structure and goals of a bootcamp for data science will determine the specific skills that you learn. Many bootcamps teach you how to use the tools and other data manipulation techniques. These are some of the most common skills taught in bootcamps:
- Python Foundations provides a foundational introduction to the essential programming concepts and the Python programming languages. Python is a general-purpose programming language. It’s used for web development as well as other types of software like mobile apps. You can learn how to use conditionals, loops, strings, dictionaries, strings, and more from many online bootcamps.
- SQL Queries allow data scientists to create tables and select data in a variety of ways. Learn how to interact with multiple tables and communicate with relational databases using SQL.
- Anaconda is an R and Python distribution that makes it easy to install many libraries. After completing a data analytics course you will be able to identify best practices in machine learning, package management and visualization.
- Jupyter Notebooks is an open-source web tool which allows you to create and share documents that include live code, visuals, equations, and narrative text. This allows you to write lines of code, run them one by one, and perform data analysis.
- In predictive analytics, numerical models are used to forecast model deals in mathematical form. They can also be used to estimate the numeric value of new data using insights from previous data analysis. There are many classes in numerical analytics that can teach you everything, from machine arithmetic to data simulation.
- Tableau gives you the opportunity to quickly explore, experiment, fix, prepare, and present data. Tableau experience will help you gain the technical skills necessary for today’s job market.
- Data visualization uses computer technology for creating images, charts and animations that convey clear and concise information. This skill is essential for many positions in the field as businesses become more data-driven. Online classes will allow you to learn and practice data visualization tools such as Microsoft Power BI and Tableau.
Every bootcamp is different. Consider the curriculum when deciding on which course to take. Also, compare it with your existing skills.
How to Choose the Best Online Data Analytics Bootcamps
It can be difficult to find the right online bootcamp for you. There is no one right way to choose the right program. However, there are steps you can follow to help make it easier.
Step 1: Rank your Priorities and Identify Your Priorities
You can determine which program works best for you by identifying your priorities and evaluating each program. It is important to consider the pros and cons for each of your top choices. When deciding where to spend the next few days or more of your life, it is important that you carefully consider your goals and needs.
Step 2: Create a shortlist of your top choices
A strong shortlist will help you narrow down your options. Compare class sizes, program highlights and costs, as well as selectivity.
Step 3: Investigate Career Outcomes
An online bootcamp can be used to help you get a job. To ensure that the bootcamp offers the support you require, students should verify that mentorships, interview coaching and resume workshops are available outside of the classroom.
Data Analytics Bootcamp Directory
Many data analytics bootcamps are available. Each one is tailored to meet the needs of the current job market. You can access an online program through programs such as General Assembly, BrainStation, and Harvard.
Below is a list with great online data analytics bootcamps for 2020.